Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A New Path

Exactly one week ago I quit my job. I had just returned from my friend Tracy's wedding and was feeling very happy (it's amazing how being around old friends makes you feel more like yourself than anything else). It was a normal day at the office. I was in a cheery mood, showing everyone pictures from the wedding and bragging about my ability to do low chignons for the bride's hair (I never claimed to be modest).

I never suspected that on Tuesday, the 24th of March my life would be taking an entirely different direction I had not planned for that day. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that my boss asked me to do something that was unethical, deceptive, and was very angry when I questioned what I was being asked to do. It is amazing how some people thrive on intimidation when they feel threatened. Anyway, since I felt pressured to do something I felt was wrong, and I saw no way out of doing what I was being asked to do; I resigned. It felt very liberating. I thought about doing it for a total of about 2 minutes. Should I lie and deceive a client? Or should I quit? (Later I was told by a good business-savvy friend that I should have gone with option c. to let them fire me, but I didn't know this at the time). I walked out, and haven't looked back. I should probably be stressed about my future (or at least my pending bills), but I am not. Now it is time to find a new job, let life take me in a new direction, and open up my mind to possibilities I hadn't even considered before.

Yesterday I moved out of my apartment and turned in the key, I am now homeless, jobless, and directionless. As my friend Bryce said, "You may have to re-define what is normal for a while". Right now normal is living with friends, moving my dog Vino to my parents house temporarily, job-hunting, and taking naps at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Even though I should be feeling scared, broke, uncertain, homeless and unemployed. I feel liberated, creative, curious, certain, and right at home.


1 comments:

lovely you said...

Manders--Dickinson called and she wants her dwelling place back. I told her that you still need it for a while longer (she was cool with that) and that if she really wants it back she'll have to meet you at the end of the new path. It's a little place (you may have heard of it) called Melbourne, Australia. Hee. Hee. I'm so proud I can hardly stand it!

Thanks for the post AND the low chignon!