Sunday, January 18, 2009

Experimenting with oils

I decided to try and dabble a little with oil painting. I don't know how to paint, and knew nothing about how to start. But I had been watching the BBC series, "Simon Schama's Power of Art". http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/ I had learned that VanGogh had not even starting painting until he was in his 30's. Although I am sure I will not be a Van Gogh, it was inspiring to try a new art form I had no experience with. My first painting was of a sunset, it did not turn out to be a masterpiece to say the least. I then thought it may be easier to imitate another's work while learning more about techniques. I decided to imitate "Id" by Cakaj. Here is the original "Id" and my interpretation "Ego". (Id is on the left, I'm sure it is obvious...but just in case). I found the experience to be a little frustrating and very messy. My least favorite part was cleaning the brushes. I would like to paint some more, but think next time that I will do a little more reading on tips for oil painting before I blindly dive in. Here is a quote by the man who inspired me to try my hand at oils

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. --Vincent Van Gogh

5 comments:

Holly Grant said...

I like your painting, Manders. I think you put Cakaj to shame.

Janet Jergins said...

I love your painting. I am also very happy to own more than my share of your artistic endeavors. Keep up the good work!

lovely you said...

You never cease to amaze me.

Garrett said...

Way to silence that nay-saying voice, Amanda! Thanks for starting this project, too. I'm excited about doing something each month with you guys. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Garrett, I am always having to tell the voices in my head to shut up, except for the voice telling the other voices to shut up which would be weird if I told that voice to shut up. I am getting confused, this is why you shouldn't talk about the voices arguing in your head.