Friday, January 16, 2009

Healthy Banana Nut Muffins

I, too, love food. I am always trying new recipes and looking for new ones. I am not a vegetarian but I do love to eat as healthy as I can. I fail, often, at passing over the pizza and regular coke but I try and love to eat fresh vegetables and fruits. I also like to stay away from sugar and processed foods. I came across this banana-nut muffin recipe and was very excited because of the health aspect. They are whole grain muffins and are light but still sweet. And the best part, they contain no sugar. Proof that health food can still taste good.

3 medium ripe bananas
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup barley flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tsp. fine sea salt
6 tbsp oil (canola or sunflower)
1 cup whole spelt flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup white spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
Makes 1 dozen muffins

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Sift the flours and baking soda into a medium sized bowl, add the salt
-Puree the bananas in a food processor and add the remaining liquid ingredients, mix well.
-Make a well in the flour and pour in the wet mixture (scraping the food processor bowl well) and fold together until the flour mixture is moistened. Add the walnuts and raisins and fold just a few more times to incorporate. Don't overmix or you will have tough muffins!
-Line the muffin tins with paper or brush with oil. Use an ice cream scoop to distribute the batter evenly among the cups.
-Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for a few minutes then remove to a cooling rack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome holly! I can't wait to make these muffins. I have been trying not to eat processed sugar so these are perfect for me to try out...yum!

lovely you said...

Thanks for posting this, Holly; they sound delicious and nutritious! I've got company in town for the Inauguration, and these muffins will give us much needed fuel to endure the cold and the crowds!

Garrett said...

Yay! I'm so excited to make these! I got a vegan cookbook for Christmas and, like you, am not a vegetarian, but I'm curious about all kinds of natural foods.